Sunday, June 7, 2009

So, where did you meet him?

Now that we're engaged, people are asking us how we met. Well, here's the story:

Match.com

We'd both been on the site for several months and just hadn't met the 'right one.' Well, I saw Jason and thought he was interesting. For those of you who don't know how Match.com works, if you see someone you like but you don't want to write them a long message, you can 'wink' at someone. Lame, I know. So, I winked at Jason. The next day I had a message in my inbox from him. It was a very polite message, the gist of which was 'You seem really nice but I met someone I kind of like.' etc, etc. Oh well, back to the drawing board. This kind of stuff happens a lot on the website and I didn't think much of it.

A couple weeks later, I received another email from him saying 'Hey, well, things didn't really work out, want to hang out sometime?' So, several hysterical emails and a few phone conversations later, we went out. We went to Esparza's and didn't run out of things to talk about. The best part comes now: We were walking around the corner and ran into Cousins Brian and Margaret! They had spent the whole day planting trees up at their property in Washington State and were going to grab a much-deserved cocktail. We stopped and chatted, and I introduced Jason as 'My friend John.' After a moment I realized my mistake and looked at Jason. He was doing all he could to hold in his laughter. When we left the cousins I apologized profusely but Jason just laughed. I knew I liked someone who had a sense of humor about something like that.

And that's that.

5 comments:

  1. I love you and your story-telling. XOXO Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have the greatest wink ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could we forget that night?! We enjoyed for weeks afterward calling Jason everything but his real name. Thanks for posting The Story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Denise. Now I have to go take a shower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a phenomenal story! I found your blog by accident while looking for someone on facebook, but I'm glad I did. This really made me smile.

    What happened the next time your cousins met "John"?

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete